Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option
Date: 05 Feb 2004 08:23:16 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: 05 Feb 2004 02:42:44 +0100
>
>         emacs -q --no-site-file --no-splash
>               --eval '(blink-cursor-mode -1)'
>               --eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)'
>               --eval '(scroll-bar-mode -1)'
>               --eval '(tooltip-mode -1)'
>               --eval '(setq visible-bell t)'
>
> (the last line is because the audible bell drives me crazy).
>
> I propose to add a -Q option which is equivalent to this, i.e.
>
>         emacs -Q
>
> does the same thing as the above call.

IMHO, using -Q for "-q --no-site-file" is fine, but adding all the
other turn-offs makes this switch too heavily loaded.  Why does it
make sense to combine  "-q --no-site-file", which basically means
``defeat all local deviations from the defaults'' with the rest,
which disable fancy features?  And what does visible-bell setting
have to do with turning off features?

I'd say let's make two options, one for "-q --no-site-file", the other
for --no-splash and the --eval options mentioned above, excluding the
visible-bell one.