Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:14:56 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:29:33 +0200
>
> I found 3 places in the source tree where command line arguments are
> documented:
>
> emacs/lisp/startup.el
> emacs/man/cmdargs.texi
> emacs/src/emacs.c
>
> and all of them are out of sync with the actual source code:
>
> --help, --version, --no-shared-memory, -nl, --find-file, --directory,
> -L DIR, and some display options are missed in the cmdargs.texi.
>
> --no-desktop is not documented in the cmdargs.texi and emacs.c.
>
> --find-file and many display options are not documented in the startup.el.

I think the proper places for this are the text printed by "emacs --help"
and cmdargs.texi.  Of these, the latter one lags behind the code
because Emacs developers are not required to submit documentation
changes together with code changes.  Usually, when a new Emacs
release is about to enter the pretest phase, we go through NEWS
entries and update the docs accordingly.

As for the fact that emacs.c doesn't mention some of the new options,
it's probably a bug, unless, for some good reasons, we don't want to
advertise them.