Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:54:33 +0200

> I think the proper places for this are the text printed by "emacs --help"
> and cmdargs.texi.  Of these, the latter one lags behind the code
> because Emacs developers are not required to submit documentation
> changes together with code changes.  Usually, when a new Emacs
> release is about to enter the pretest phase, we go through NEWS
> entries and update the docs accordingly.
>
> As for the fact that emacs.c doesn't mention some of the new options,
> it's probably a bug, unless, for some good reasons, we don't want to
> advertise them.

I looked more closely at available command line arguments and can't
decide what to do with some of them because of their unclear status:
what arguments are obsolete, what are not implemented, what are
secret developers-only options, what are too platform-dependent
and so shouldn't be known to users?

--no-shared-memory, -nl (#ifdef HAVE_SHM)
        present in --help
        missing in cmdargs.texi

--map-data, -map (#ifdef VMS)
        missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

--no-loadup, -nl
        missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

--vertical-scroll-bars, -vb
        present in --help
        missing in cmdargs.texi

--horizontal-scroll-bars, -hb
        missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

--line-spacing, -lsp
        present in --help
        missing in cmdargs.texi

--smid
        missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

-psn_ (#ifdef MAC_OSX)
        missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

--name
        present in --help
        missing in cmdargs.texi, although documented in xresources.texi

--xrm

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/