Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:15:06 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:13:19 -0800
  > >
  > > Eli Zaretskii suggested adding another face specifier `nrcolors>='.
  > > `nrcolors>=' can be used in `defface' to have common face specifications
  > > for 256 colors xterms and color X11.
  >
  > Actually, I suggested `ncolors>=' etc., but I'm known to be a bad
  > player of the naming game.

IMHO, the name is OK, it was just a typo. If there's any other
suggestion we can change it before the patch is checked in.

Can we get an agreement that adding this new face specifier NCOLORS>=
is the way to go? When we do, I will prepare a patch for the default and
font-lock deffaces to take advantage of NCOLORS>=.
I can see

  > > Next step would be to make xterm.el understand color names, currently
  > > xterm.el generates color names that look like "color-XXX".
  >
  > Sorry, I don't see why is this needed.  tty-colors.el should already
  > cause Emacs to find the nearest color-ZZZ that approximates every X
  > color best.  What am I missing?

Nothing, I was confused. I thought that only colors that can be seen
when doing M-x list-colors-display can be used for faces. Good
nothing to worry in this are then.

  > > I know there is another xterm mutant that supports 88 colors, that
  > > one can be probably treated the same way as a 256 colors one.
  >
  > The CVS version of xterm.el should support both of them (and also the
  > 16-color variety) already.  Doesn't it?

It does. Do we want another NCOLORS>= bracket for 88 color xterms?
IMHO no.

Thanks.

        --dan