Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option
Date: 08 Feb 2004 11:56:15 -0500

>> This said, I really think the --help text should be generated more
>> dynamically to match the exact set of args accepted by the executed Emacs.

> There is one disadvantage to dynamically generated option list: it
> will require to start Emacs completely to generate correct option
> list.  For instance, look at the --no-desktop option processed in the
> desktop.el file: it can add own option to the option list correctly
> only when .emacs file with (desktop-save-mode 1) is loaded, desktop.el
> is loaded, and desktop.el finds a saved desktop file.  Otherwise,
> showing this option to the user makes no sense.

Huh?  Where's the disadvantage exactly?
You mean it's better to never show the option (even if the user does have
the above things in his .emacs) or to always show it?
To me the whole point of making it dynamic is that it can take into account
local config changes (in site-start.el and in .emacs).
Of course when called with `-q --help' it might return something different
than with just `--help', but that's the whole point.

        Stefan