Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:35:50 +0200

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:15:06 -0800
>
> Can we get an agreement that adding this new face specifier NCOLORS>=
> is the way to go?

Obviously, I agree.  Please wait for a day or two for the other
developers, including Richard Stallman, to respond.

>   > The CVS version of xterm.el should support both of them (and also the
>   > 16-color variety) already.  Doesn't it?
>
> It does. Do we want another NCOLORS>= bracket for 88 color xterms?
> IMHO no.

I suspect that 88 colors should be enough to support all the default
faces nicely.  So (assuming this idea gets approved) perhaps using 88
_instead_ of 256 would be good enough.

That would leave us with 16-color terminals, which include the
16-color xterm, rxvt, and the MS-Windows and MS-DOS terminals; and
with 8-color terminals.

What to do with the number of colors between 88 and 16, I don't know.
Perhaps for now just let that behave like 16-color terminals, since we
don't have such devices (AFAIK).