Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option
Date: 09 Feb 2004 18:22:28 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> > Is the speed of --help really an issue?
>
> It depends on the purpose of --help: seems it is useful mostly when
> the user wants to start Emacs from the command line and forgets the
> syntax of some options.  In this case the speed of --help is really
> important for users.

I'd think in this case, accuracy would be rather _more_ important, as
long as --help isn't `excessively' slow -- and dynamically generating
--help improves accuracy.

As for what `excessively slow' is, my opinion is that 1 second to
display --help on a typical machine would be absolutely fine; 10
seconds, well, maybe that would be too slow.

On my machine:

   time emacs --batch -l ~/.emacs -f kill-emacs

takes about 1.5 seconds (due mostly to my huge .emacs file).

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.