Re: address@hidden: emacs customization suggestion: 'customize-existing'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: emacs customization suggestion: 'customize-existing']
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:58:10 -0500

    Why not have 1 command, customize-changed, that by default shows the
    unsaved variables (like customize-customized does now) but with a prefix
    arg shows either the saved variables (like customize-saved) or both
    saved and unsaved variables (like customize-touched)?

I think we should have just one command that shows both the saved and
unsaved customizations.  Since each variable shows whether it is saved
or not, this command will be useful for those who want to find only
the saved customizations, and for those who want to find only the
unsaved customizations.

Having just one command in place of the present two will reduce the
overall complexity, and that is desirable, particularly for the kind
of user that the Custom interface is meant for.

I think we should use the name customize-changed-options for this, and
we should rename the existing command named customize-changed-options
to customize-new-options.  That name gives a clearer picture of the
command's purpose.

While one could argue pedantically that the name customize-new-options
is incorrect, since not all the options it shows you are new, I think
we should not forego such a good name for pedantic reasons.  (And if
anyone should care, the pedantic argument has a response, that any
option that shows up in this command is there because of something new
in Emacs.)