latest cvs build hanging on smtpmail-send-queued-mail (OS X 10.3.2)

From: John Owens
Subject: latest cvs build hanging on smtpmail-send-queued-mail (OS X 10.3.2)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:31:18 -0800 (PST)

I built the latest emacs from cvs this morning (OS X
10.3.2), sent a message via smtpmail (with
smtpmail-queue-mail t), and then called
smtpmail-send-queued-mail. Emacs completely hung. I
had to force-quit it.

Admittedly, I've never got smtpmail to work properly
with authentication. But it least used to not work
gracefully and told me there were authentication
errors. Here, I see the message in the mode line:

(source)...done

and then it totally hangs.

This happens when I have the smtpmail debug and
verbose settings set and also when I do not.

I do not know what to do to continue to debug when it
hangs like this. Even when I set debug-on-error it
hangs.

I append my setup.

JDO

--
(setq user-full-name "John Owens"
      user-mail-address "address@hidden"
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server
"strat.ece.ucdavis.edu"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "strat.ece.ucdavis.edu"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      mail-host-address "ece.ucdavis.edu"
      smtpmail-local-domain nil
      smtpmail-sendto-domain nil
      smtpmail-smtp-service "smtp"
      smtpmail-code-conv-from nil
      smtpmail-queue-mail t
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("strat.ece.ucdavis.edu" 587 "" ""))
      starttls-program "/usr/local/bin/starttls"
      )

(load-library "smtpmail")
(load-library "ssl")
(global-set-key "\C-x\m"     'vm-mail)               ;
not compose-mail