Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on cygwin bootstrap failed.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on cygwin bootstrap failed.
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:20:27 +0000

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

   "Steven Wu" <address@hidden> writes:
   > I took the CVS src of Emacs 21.3.50 to cygwin and did make
   > bootstrap.

   "Harald Maier" <address@hidden> responds:
   I assume you need the mingw-make 3.79.1.

I'd like to understand this better -- Harald says that one needs the
MinGW version of `make' to build Emacs under Cygwin.  But I am not
sure that's completely correct.
No it is not correct. Cygwin Emacs *must* be built with Cygwin make, for the same reason as the native w32 Emacs must not be built with Cygwin make (the paths that make produces are incompatible between native Windows applications and Cygwin).

* the Emacs source tree is capable of building two *different* flavors
 of Emacs -- 1) the so-called "Win32" version

If you want to "so-call" the w32 version something, you might like to carefully consider whether you call it a "win".