Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.
Date: 13 Feb 2004 00:35:00 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > As a side note, I also find it hard to get used to NOT being able
>  > to set a break-point with the mouse in a source buffer which is
>  > not "side-shifted".
>
> But you can set a breakpoint, by clicking in the fringe, using the code that
> you wrote (the local variable gud-minor-mode needs to be non-nil, though).

Ok, so that's the missing link... when is that variable set?

>  > I don't see why the two approaches cannot live side by side, i.e. let
>  > it be a user option whether the breakpoint should be in the display
>  > margin or in the fringe (when available, and it has a width >= 8
>  > pixels):
>  >
>  > I.e. something like..
>
> I would prefer to have just one approach. If the general preference is to
> use the fringe then I'll move the breakpoint icons there.

I would prefer the fringes when available -- but as you say, the
display margins are the only option on text-only terminals.
So you need to support both (but you don't need to support icons
for the display margins though).

> > The new code I added explicitly handles the overlay arrow as an
> > overlay also in the fringe, i.e. the > icon is shown above another
> > bitmap (eg. a breakpoint icon) in the same position.
>
> This certainly makes the fringe more attractive.

That was the intention :-)