Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:02:07 +0200

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:13:34 -0800
>
> For the etc/NEWS file, I don't know where this would fit, so it's not
> a patch.

It doesn't really matter; the standard practice is to put it at the
beginning of the relevant section (Installation, User-level, or Lisp
changes).  The list of changes is reordered by importance when a
release is being prepared.

> A new attribute `min-colors' has been added to the `defface' face
> specification language. It is used to specify the face characteristics
> depending on the number of colors supported by the display.

This is a Lisp-level change, and the wording seems to say that it is a
rather obscure one.  I would suggest an entry in the user-level
changes saying something like "Emacs now uses the full range of colors
supported by multic-lor character terminals for the default faces."
Also, in the Lisp-level change, I would think we should tell people
who write Lisp programs to prefer min-colors over the previous methods
of defining face defaults.