Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:29:00 -0800

  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:13:34 -0800
  > >
  > > The default faces and the font-lock faces have been changed to take
  > > advantage of `min-colors'. These faces look very similar now on a 256
  > > colors xterm and on X11.
  >
  > Thanks.
  >
  > I see one problem with these changes: it seems like you assumed that
  > there are no devices supported by the current defface definitions that
  > can support between 8 and 256 colors.  But that is not true: the MSDOS
  > terminal and the Windows character terminal (you get the latter when
  > you start the Windows port with -nw) both support 16 colors, not 8.

Right, I had no idea that this was the case. My intention was to keep
the status quo for everything except the 256/88 color xterms.

  > I think that adding a definition for (min-colors 16) is a Good
  > Thing regardless, as there's rxvt and a 16-color xterm out there.

Thanks for the detailed explanations on how these things currently
work. I have an updated patch. Could you please test it on
MSDOS/Windows and tell me if the face colors are the same before and
after my patch? I don't have access to such a machine, so I cannot
test this myself.
If anything is changed, could you please email me the output of the
following function?

(defun list-faces-display-simple ()
  "Show fg and bg."
  (interactive)
  (let ((faces (sort (face-list) #'string-lessp))
        (face nil)
        (frame (selected-frame))
        disp-frame window face-name)
    (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*SimpleFaces*"
      (save-excursion
        (set-buffer standard-output)
        (setq truncate-lines t)
        (while faces
          (setq face (car faces))
          (setq faces (cdr faces))
          (setq face-name (symbol-name face))
          (insert (format "%32s fg: %-15s bg: %-15s\n"
                          face-name
                          (face-foreground face)
                          (face-background face)
                          )))))))

I added separate "min-colors 16" categories everywhere I thought
they'd be needed. This way it would be easier to change the
corresponding colors later, if there's a desire to do so.