Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
Date: 15 Feb 2004 09:03:22 +0900

that has been posted to gmane.emacs.gnus.general as well.

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
> If we need a branch, shouldn't it be in _Emacs_ CVS to test the
> integration (e.g. check that new files have to be added to CVS, ...)?
> I wonder how the merge has been done last time.  I'd like to help with
> it, but probably it would make more sense if someone with write access
> to Emacs CVS does the first (big) step.

Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.

tla allows (painlessly) distributed repositories, and generally uses a
`pull' model, so write access to a central repository isn't necessary.
It is also much better at merging than CVS.

***
One part of this is that I've added `taglines' to all the emacs source
files (in CVS), which make it easy to assign a unique identity to each
file (even if the name changes).

If you'd accept a patch against Gnus CVS to add taglines, this would
make future merging using tla easier.

This is slightly trickier than with a new project, because Gnus and
Emacs conceptually _share_ files (even though the actual contents may
vary), so it would be best to use the _same_ tagline for the same file
in both Gnus and Emacs.

An example of a tagline is something like `lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el' from
the emacs source tree:

   (run-hooks 'gnus-art-load-hook)

   ;;; arch-tag: 2654516f-6279-48f9-a83b-05c1fa450c33
   ;;; gnus-art.el ends here

> Maybe we should shift (or cross-post) this discussion to emacs-devel?

Couldn't hurt... [note CC: :-]

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]