Re: [patch] leim/Makefile.in: make distclean should make clean

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: [patch] leim/Makefile.in: make distclean should make clean
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:07:02 +0100

Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> > Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:37:15 +0100 (CET)
> > From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?= <address@hidden>
> >
> > I understand your point. Nonetheless, I need to clean such
> > files
>
> Can you explain why you need it?

Sure. I'm currently working on an emacs-snapshot Debian package
which will make us easier to prepare upcoming stable releases
and to find problems with the build system ASAP.

I'm building it from a tarball I do generate from make-dist
and every time I clean the package, I remove .elc files
as well as autogenerated .el ones.

There is a rationale for removing them: we usually apply
patches (which may modify .el files) prior to bootstrapping
emacs, so we need to regenerate them anyway.

I hope I answered your question.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant