Re: [patch] leim/Makefile.in: make distclean should make clean

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: [patch] leim/Makefile.in: make distclean should make clean
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:28:14 +0100

>> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:07:02 +0100
>> From: =?iso-8859-1?b?Suly9G1l?= Marant <address@hidden>
>>
>> I'm currently working on an emacs-snapshot Debian package
>> which will make us easier to prepare upcoming stable releases
>> and to find problems with the build system ASAP.
>>
>> I'm building it from a tarball I do generate from make-dist
>> and every time I clean the package, I remove .elc files
>> as well as autogenerated .el ones.
>
> I think this warrants a special target to remove all *.elc files.
> The situation you describe is pretty much special.

Currently, .elc files are not really a problem for me: I do
remove them with a simple combination of find and rm.

>> There is a rationale for removing them: we usually apply
>> patches (which may modify .el files) prior to bootstrapping
>> emacs, so we need to regenerate them anyway.
>
> That doesn't require to remove them first: Make will DTRT when it sees
> that the corresponding *.el files changed, and will compile only those
> which are in the need.

But this doesn't need my requirements: the Debian packaging scheme
generates a diff between the pristine tree and the set of files
added by the packaging; since autogenerated files are no part of
the pristine tree, they'd be considered as packaging-specific
which I don't want to.

Basically, I'd need a bootstrap-clean target that would clean any file
generated by the bootstrap (both .elc and autogenerated .el).  I
didn't find anything do this.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant