Re: [patch] leim/Makefile.in: make distclean should make clean

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: [patch] leim/Makefile.in: make distclean should make clean
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:13:02 +0100

Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> > From: address@hidden (=?iso-8859-15?q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?=)
> > Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:28:14 +0100
> > >
> > > I think this warrants a special target to remove all *.elc files.
> > > The situation you describe is pretty much special.
> >
> > Currently, .elc files are not really a problem for me: I do
> > remove them with a simple combination of find and rm.
>
> Then what _is_ the problem?  The changes you asked to make remove
> *.elc files and do not much else.

I said it's not a problem because I can use brute force removal
as a workaround.
The problem is about the autogenerated .el files, as I explained
earlier.

> > Basically, I'd need a bootstrap-clean target that would clean any file
> > generated by the bootstrap (both .elc and autogenerated .el).
>
> maintainer-clean is supposed to be what you want; if it does not,
> please describe why not (I feel that I still don't understand your
> needs well enough), and let's think how to do better.

Agreed.
I said in a previous messages that I tried many targets without any
success.
Currently, maintainer-clean doesn't work like you describe since:
- it needs the change I asked for (maintainer-clean depending on
clean, that it) in order to remove autogenerated .el files
- it doesn't clean the 'lisp' directory (both .elc files and
autogenerated ones)
- info files are not cleaned from the info directory (it has been
disabled from man/Makefile.in)

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant