Emacs release procedure (Was: [h-e-w] Current word on binaries)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Emacs release procedure (Was: [h-e-w] Current word on binaries)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:08:05 +0200

Here's a message sent in the past by Gerd Moellmann in which he
summarized the procedure he used for making a pretest/release
tarballs.  Note that the specific versions and tags mentioned may need
to be revised/modified for each specific release.

Francesco, if you have any comments based on your experience of
releasing v21.3, please do.

One issue I remember from my experience is that there are directories
present in the checked-out branch, such as lispref, which should not
be in the tarball.  They are there because they are present on the
trunk and because the RC branch tag exists on those directories as
well.  The solution is either to remove the directories in your local
sandbox, or (better) remove the branch tags from the files that are
not supposed to exist on the branch, and use "cvs update -P" to let
CVS prune empty directories when the tree is checked out.

I'm cc'ing emacs-devel so that this procedure is archived and could
be useful to future release managers.  I started a new thread for the
same reason.