Re: multiple POP support for RMAIL

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: multiple POP support for RMAIL
Date: 22 Feb 2004 06:14:38 -0500

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

       ...there is currently no way to specify multiple passwords
       non-interactively.

   Please implement this feature

actually the code posted does indeed support this usage, although it is
not a very clean interface (IMO), and hence left undocumented to allow a
freer hand to change it based on the outcome of this discussion.

basically, you can evaluate:

(rmail-set-pop-password PASSWORD-1 HOST-1)
(rmail-set-pop-password PASSWORD-2 HOST-2)

where each HOST-N appears in `rmail-primary-inbox-list'.  although this
works, it is ugly to me because it requires the user to synchronize host
names in two places.  on the other hand, that may not be such a big deal
in practice, and in fact, this scheme makes it easy to place such forms
in a separate chmod go-rwx file (i.e., a security feature of sorts).

what do you think of `rmail-pop-password-required' being allowed to name
a file containing (HOST . PASSWORD) pairs?  this file would be (re-)read
at the appropriate times, and after `M-x rmail-set-pop-password RET RET'.
i chose pairs deliberately to limit the generality of this file -- this
goes back to my reluctance at getting into Gnus-ish design/impl territory.

thi