Re: char-table-range

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: char-table-range
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:51:13 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Ken 'ichi Handa wrote:
>    (set-char-table-default TABLE IDX VAL)

>      (1) If IDX is a symbol `ascii', set the default value for all
>        characters to VAL.

>      (2) If IDX is GENERIC-CHAR, set the value for characters in
>        GENERIC-CHAR to nil, and set the default value for them to VAL.

>      (3) If IDX is an individual character, set IDX to a generic
>        character that represents the smallest group of characters
>        containing IDX, and perform (2).

>    I think (1) is a misfeature.  The default value for all characters
>    should be set by specifying IDX nil.  (3) is also very questionable. I
>    think we don't need it.

> I do not know whether (2) is intended as description of the current
> behavior of set-char-table-default or as a proposed new behavior.  As
> a description of the current behavior it is not completely accurate.
> Indeed, aset and set-char-table-range both behave exactly as described
> in (2) for a generic character, but currently, set-char-table-default
> for a generic character just sets the default value to VAL, _without_
> first setting the value for characters in GENERIC-CHAR to nil (as aset
> and set-char-table-range indeed both do).  See the ielm run below.

Oops, you are right.  I myself was confused.  I wrote above
as description of the currently behavior, and should be
written as this:

  (2) If IDX is GENERIC-CHAR, set the default value for characters in
      GENERIC-CHAR to VAL.

My opininons/proposals were written without indentation.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden