Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:14:46 -0500

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> I think next-error should use the last created compile/grep/occur
> buffer, which is next-error-last-buffer because those commands reset
> its value.
>
> But I would like to give the user some control over that.  For
> instance, if next-error-last-buffer were a list with the most
> recently created buffer at the front (like a stack), the user could
> most recent compile/grep/occur buffer.

I'm not opposed to adding this as a future option, but I don't want to
complicate the intentionally simple interface to next-error (set
next-error-function and next-error-last-buffer, that's it).  I think a
list of buffers would complicate life for users and developers alike,
without adding much functionality.  It would be especially bad for
backward compatibility, which RMS insists on.  So maybe it could be an
optional registration API into next-error for advanced users, but
definitely not the primary interface.

Ted