Re: smtpmail.el and 1msg

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: smtpmail.el and 1msg
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:51:14 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> I'd like to propose a patch (and I'm not sure I'm in the right place)
> for smtpmail.el.

Thanks!  I believe this also explains a few bug reports I've got, with
the exact same symptoms as the ones you describe.

> The problem I experienced was that smtpmail would spin, waiting for
> response from the "QUIT" command.  It would appear that my ISP changed
> its mail software and now has configured an option called 1msg which
> closes the connection when the end of "DATA" has been reached.

Does anyone know what motivate people to do this?  It sounds to me
like a rather disruptive thing to do.

> The smtpmail package was still trying to read from the process, even
> though the process had closed.  So I created a binding for a
> variable called smtpmail-1msg, parsing the greeting string, looking
> for the 1msg token to set and later use when deciding whether or not
> to bother sending "QUIT".

Do you have of a reference to this 1msg stuff?  It would be good to
include a reference to it in smtpmail.el.  I'm particularly worried
that we might not be conforming to the intention of 1msg fully.
Perhaps there is some deep idea behind it.  (Though I doubt that..)