Re: Tooltipping enhancement request

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: Tooltipping enhancement request
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:56:25 +0900 (JST)

> 2) A means for accepting input from a tooltip (a strange idea)
>    or a way to make a regular Emacs frame look like a tooltip.
>
> The tooltip is pretty good for me.  I don't use the mouse much, but I
> watch others use this feature in other editors, and they all like to
> go clicky-clicky on the completion list.  I think it would help
> mouse-bound users.
>
> The tooltip part is important because a timer can cause Emacs to go
> into this completion mode.  Splitting windows and moving the mouse
> makes the feature difficult to accept.

What kind of input do you expect?

About VisualBasic like completion selection, I think it is better
to extend the behavior of popup-menu. The popup menu of emacs configured
with --with-gtk can do
1) select a menu item with cursor keys, and
2) pass other keys to the behind buffer and close the popup menu itself.

The biggest problem is that there is no elisp function to pop down the
popup menu. (Correct me if I write wroing.) So you cannot use the popup
menu with timers.

Masatake