Re: Refactoring xml.el namespace handling

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Refactoring xml.el namespace handling
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:57:59 -0500

    I don't know the code, but to me it seems that using strings rather
    than symbols (in all places) generally would be preferable, as it
    avoids pollution in the name space -- or maybe a local name space is
    used here?  Or do symbols get garbage collected like strings do ?

If there is no crucial need for the uniquification that symbols have,
it is better to use strings.  If uniquification is what you want,
it is better to use symbols.  If you are using their values, then
use a separate obarray.