Bug in mouse scrolling?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Bug in mouse scrolling?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:58:36 -0500

Can anyone reproduce this bug?

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:40:19 -0500
From: David Combs <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Something from gnu.emacs.help you might want to see yourself

Richard:

Because this is something you yourself might have
been working on, at least in an overseeing mode,
so I show this post to you directly, as an FYI.

David

>From address@hidden Thu Mar 11 08:34:30 EST 2004
Article: 127923 of gnu.emacs.help
From: "Bingham, Jay" <address@hidden>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Subject: RE: emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection

On Saturday, February 14, 2004 12:43 PM Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> nospam55 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I click and drag down with the mouse on the window to extend
>> selection: when I reach the top margin of the window then the text
>> in the window scrolls upwards in order to make visible new text down
>> ; all of this is normal behavior, of course; the problem is that
>> right after the first lines , the scrolling becomes suddenly too
>> fast to control, and I "crash" quickly on the end of file, almost
>> always far too down for the amount of text I wanted to select.
>
> Does it help to frob the variable mouse-scroll-delay?
>
> Does it help to frob scroll-conservatively?  (My understanding is you
> need to give it a high value, but I'm not sure.)

I too have noticed this fast scrolling and been annoyed by it, so I
tried Kai suggestions and found that they have no effect on the fast
scrolling.
While trying them I believe that I may have found a bug.  When I placed
the cursor at the start of a word before dragging commenced scrolling
proceeded at a reasonable rate (and with the mouse-scroll-delay set to
0.5 rather than 0.25 scrolling was noticeably slower), but when I placed
the cursor in the middle of a word scrolling took off like it is going
to a fire (regardless of the value in mouse-scroll-delay).  This occurs
in the following modes: text mode, awk mode and shell script mode.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-