Re: Makefile.in

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Makefile.in
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:27:19 -0600 (CST)

Miles Bader wrote:

   It's been a long time since I downloaded an emacs distribution
   tarball, but I think they always came with .elc files.  Given this,
   neither `make clean' nor `make distclean' should delete them.  A
   CVS checkout is _not_ a distribution.

   [And I think `make clean' should never delete them, because they
   are too expensive to recreate from scratch -- much more expensive
   than just recompiling all the C code]

OK, so what about making this clear:

===File ~/Makefile.in-diff==================================
*** Makefile.in.~1.286.~        Tue Mar  2 19:50:19 2004
--- Makefile.in Sat Mar 13 11:14:29 2004
***************
*** 45,52 ****
  # make maintainer-clean
  #      Delete everything from the current directory that can be
  #      reconstructed with this Makefile.  This typically includes
! #      everything deleted by distclean, plus more: C source files
! #      produced by Bison, tags tables, info files, and so on.
  #
  # make extraclean
  #      Still more severe - delete backup and autosave files, too.
  # make maintainer-clean
  #      Delete everything from the current directory that can be
  #      reconstructed with this Makefile.  This typically includes
! #      everything deleted by distclean, plus more: .elc files,