Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: 14 Mar 2004 09:36:05 +0200

> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:32:30 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> What about the following patch to info.texi, documenting M-n, C-u m
> and C-u g?

Fine with me (but see the minor comments below).

> I could install in the Emacs CVS version of info.texi, if desired.

AFAIK, that's the master version of info.texi.

> + @unnumberedsubsec @kbd{M-n} creates a cloned Info buffer in Emacs

Do we really need a new section for this?

> + @kindex M-n @r{(Info mode)}
> + @findex clone-buffer
> + @cindex cloning an Info buffer in Emacs
> +   If you are reading Info in Emacs, you can select a new independent
> + Info buffer in another window by typing @kbd{M-n}.  The new buffer is
> + a ``cloned'' version of the old one.

The info.texi manual is for a novice user, since Info is for reading
the documentation, and a user who needs to use Info is generally not
an Emacs junky.  Even in its ``advanced'' sections, this manual
assumes a user who is not really ``advanced'' by the Emacs standards.
Such a user might not know what buffer cloning means.  Hence, I think
we should explain this term before we use it.

In any case, the first use of "cloned" should be in @dfn (and without
the quotes, as @dfn takes care of that).

We should also have an xref to the section in the Emacs manual that
describes cloned buffers, I think.

> + @kindex C-u g @r{(Info mode)}
> + @kindex C-u m @r{(Info mode)}
> +   In Emacs Info, you can also produce cloned Info buffers by giving a
> + numeric prefix argument to the @kbd{m} and @kbd{g} commands.  @kbd{C-u m}
> + and @kbd{C-u g} go to a new node in exactly the same way that @kbd{m}
> + and @kbd{g} do, but they do so in a new cloned Info buffer which they
> + select in another window.

I think this description should be copied (copied, not moved) into the
part that describes `g' and `m', and then the @kindex entries should
be removed.  To the best of my knowledge, no other place in the Emacs
manuals indexes commands starting with the prefix argument; we always
document the command itself and describe there the effect of the
argument.