Re: autorevert.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: autorevert.el
Date: 14 Mar 2004 21:58:19 -0500

> For dired buffers, visited-file-modtime works, even though
> verify-visited-file-modtime does not.  For non-file, non-vc, non-dired
> buffers, the current code just reverts every auto-revert-interval
> seconds without checking whether reverting is actually needed.

That's just wrong in most cases.  So we indeed need an
`auto-revert-stale-function' which modes can set to (lambda () t) if they
want, but they'll have to do it explicitly to say "yes I know it's
suboptimal but for this case it's good enough".

> For most of these buffers we might actually have to keep things that way,
> since checking whether the buffer needs reverting could easily take longer
> than reverting it.

PCL-CVS offers a revert-buffer-function and it better not be refreshed
every 5 seconds unless maybe you're working on a small project hosted locally.

        Stefan