Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:05:15 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> There was a patch by Juri Linkov discussed in December that added
> FORK arguments to several Info functions,

I added FORK argument not to all Info navigation functions.
Now I will add it to all of them.

> as well as added several other features to Info.  See the thread
> "Info enhancements" from back in December.

Since then I improved the info.el further.  I will submit the latest
version soon.

> I believe only one of the several features (_not_ the FORK
> stuff) was "controversial", but no part of the patch seems to ever
> have been committed.

IIRC, the "controversial" feature you refer to was guessing the target
place within an Info node from the reference name.  While I agree that
this is an unreliable feature, it's still better than simply placing
the point at the beginning of a big Info node.  Another alternative is
to use anchors, but it places responsibility on authors of Info
manuals to define correct reference points.  If using anchors is
accepted solution then at least all Emacs manuals should be revised
to find all such references that refer to big Info nodes and to make
anchors for them.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/