Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:28:18 +0200

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm sure that some users will be glad if you can devise a generic
> and elegant solution to this usability problem.  :)

A generic solution would be good because neither clone-buffer nor
rename-uniquely is perfect: in some cases clone-buffer is more
convenient because it requires only one command to create a new
buffer.  However, in some cases it produces undesirable results.
For instance, calling clone-buffer on *Async Shell Command* buffer
starts a process copy, while the user's intention might be to start
a different program in a separate async buffer.

Anyway, whether a generic solution is possible or not, it makes sense
to add standard key bindings to both of them.  Currently, there are:

M-n             clone-buffer (only in Info)
C-x 4 c         clone-indirect-buffer-other-window

The following global bindings might be added:

C-x c b         clone-buffer
C-x c i         clone-indirect-buffer
C-x c u         rename-uniquely

--