Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:40:36 +0900 (JST)

>     How about d-bus[1]?
>     I think it would be gnome<->kde neutral way.
>
> Can someone explain to me what d-bus does,
> or else send me a few pages from http://dbus.freedesktop.org/
> which would tell me?

Copy and paste'ed from http://dbus.freedesktop.org/

    D-BUS is a message bus system, a simple way for applications to talk
    to one another.

    D-BUS supplies both a system daemon (for events such as "new hardware
    device added" or "printer queue changed") and a per-user-login-session
    daemon (for general IPC needs among user applications). Also, the
    message bus is built on top of a general one-to-one message passing
    framework, which can be used by any two apps to communicate directly
    (without going through the message bus daemon).

    The D-BUS API isn't finished yet, and the design is by no means set in
    stone. One of our main goals is for lots of projects to use it, so if
    you wouldn't use it, by all means mail us and say why - design,
    licensing, indentation style, we would rather know than not know.

    D-BUS has no required dependencies, but includes GLib and Qt APIs to
    the D-BUS system, if you want to build those.

    Trying out D-BUS in sample applications is encouraged - we want to get
    it widely used and tested. It should be working pretty well these
    days, and when it isn't bug reports are very welcome.

    Get on D-BUS today!