Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: 15 Mar 2004 08:27:31 -0500

>> There was a patch by Juri Linkov discussed in December that added
>> FORK arguments to several Info functions,
> I added FORK argument not to all Info navigation functions.
> Now I will add it to all of them.

I think this is the wrong approach.  We want a generic way to do "a fork"
without having to change each and every command where it might make sense.
And I now regret having abuse the C-u prefix for that.  It should be some
other fork-specific prefix instead so the command can still use C-u for
its own purpose.

> Since then I improved the info.el further.  I will submit the latest
> version soon.

Please submit "one feature" at a time, so that if one of them is
controversial it will not prevent others from being applied.

> IIRC, the "controversial" feature you refer to was guessing the target
> place within an Info node from the reference name.  While I agree that
> this is an unreliable feature, it's still better than simply placing
> the point at the beginning of a big Info node.  Another alternative is
> to use anchors, but it places responsibility on authors of Info
> manuals to define correct reference points.  If using anchors is
> accepted solution then at least all Emacs manuals should be revised
> to find all such references that refer to big Info nodes and to make
> anchors for them.

I think your solution is at least as good as the current situation,
and sometimes much better.

        Stefan