Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:05:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:18:08 +0200
>> Making a separate manual is reasonable only for a big Emacs package
>> like Ediff, Eshell, Gnus, or other 30 packages currently having a
>> separate Info manual.  However, placing smaller Emacs features into
>> a separate manual is very inconvenient for users, because when they
>> are trying for find a needed Emacs feature by searching the Emacs
>> manual or by looking its index they might miss them.
>
> We could add a feature that would look in those other manuals as
> well.  In fact, it would be a good idea even now, as packages like
> Eshell and Gnus are parts of Emacs, so there's no need to force the
> user to know how we subdivide the Emacs docs.

It would be very good to make a composite index from all Emacs
manuals.  It could be implemented as a separate Info file with
references to nodes of other manuals.

Another good thing that could be implemented in Emacs is the --apropos
feature of the standalone Info browser.

Seems it's what people need very much, because they often place an index
of an Info file into dir buffer.  The worst case I know is the libc.info
which places into dir buffer its own huge index with 1700 entries!
It's very inconvenient for users: it takes too much time to display this
dir buffer and to browse it.  If there was a feature for looking up an
entry in all indices then dir would contain only references to Top nodes
of every Info manual.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/