Re: new compile command brokeness

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: new compile command brokeness
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:45:27 +0100

Saluton,

Miles Bader <address@hidden> skribis:

> When I do `M-x compile RET', type make, and get a bunch of errors, and
> then try `M-x next-error', it doesn't work, and instead just says
> `Moved past last error'.
>
> If I go to the *compilation* buffer, and use `C-c C-c' on an error
> line, then that succeeds, and subsequent uses of `next-error' also work
> properly.

Aha, that's a consequence of scrolling along with the output as it pours in,
unless you move the cursor.  The (point) in the *compilation* buffer serves as
the indication where the 'current' error is.  The next one will be found from
there onwards.  Four possibilities:

- not scroll along but stay at the beginning (not so nice)

- keep a marker to the next position (strange to not find the next error where
the cursor is, though)

- remember (or check) that we haven't visited an error from this buffer, and
only in that case jump to the beginning

- generally wrap around to the begining if any errors were skipped, and only
signal this error if none are left (seems the most useful and consistent
solution :-)

> BTW another point I noticed is that while the old compile command
> caused the `current error' (the error last selected by next-error)
> to be the top-line in the *compilation* window, the new one doesn't,
> making it something like the 3rd line or so.

compilation-context-lines defaults to next-screen-context-lines, so as to be
consistent with normal scrolling.  For some messages a few preceding lines are
helpful for understanding.

> This makes which error is
> current much harder to see; if it's desirable to not use the top of the
> window (maybe to see more context?), then I think the current error
> should be highlighted or something.

That could be done, but not urgently.  I suppose people will just get used to
this, like they are to the scrolling overlap.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

P.S.: gnu.org is bouncing my mails.  If this doesn't show up on the list,
could you please forward it?

--
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/