Re: new compile command brokeness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: new compile command brokeness
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:42:49 -0500

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:45:27PM +0100, Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
> > If I go to the *compilation* buffer, and use `C-c C-c' on an error
> > line, then that succeeds, and subsequent uses of `next-error' also work
> > properly.
>
> Aha, that's a consequence of scrolling along with the output as it pours
> in, unless you move the cursor.  The (point) in the *compilation* buffer
> serves as the indication where the 'current' error is.
>
> - remember (or check) that we haven't visited an error from this buffer,
> and only in that case jump to the beginning

Well I'm not sure about the other solutions, but if it's going to scroll the
output during execution, it certainly ought to do this.

> > BTW another point I noticed is that while the old compile command
> > caused the `current error' (the error last selected by next-error)
> > to be the top-line in the *compilation* window, the new one doesn't,
> > making it something like the 3rd line or so.
>
> compilation-context-lines defaults to next-screen-context-lines, so as to
> be consistent with normal scrolling.  For some messages a few preceding
> lines are helpful for understanding.

Sure.  But it needs to be indicated visually somehow; simply skipping
next-screen-context-lines from the top of the window is natural for the
computer, but extremely awkward for humans.  I gather from your reply that
you sort of intended the cursor to serve this purpose, but in my case, I have
the cursor turned off in inactive windows, even the default hollowed-out
cursor is pretty hard to see.

> > This makes which error is current much harder to see; if it's desirable
> > to not use the top of the window (maybe to see more context?), then I
> > think the current error should be highlighted or something.
>
> That could be done, but not urgently.  I suppose people will just get used to
> this, like they are to the scrolling overlap.

No.  It's actually a big problem for me --  it's a major pain reorienting my
eye after each next-error -- even when I'm already looking at the previous
error in the *compile* buffer (and so am looking at about the right place).

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]