Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:15:04 +0900 (JST)

> I don't follow how D-BUS relates to the issue of supporting Qt.

I'll try to explain. I'm not an expert. If what I write is wrong,
please correct me.

You wrote in another mail about this issue:
> However, GNOME is the main GNU desktop, and GNU packages are supposed
> to support each other.  It would not be right for Emacs to have more
> support for KDE than for GNOME.
>
>     Though Marco's approach (as he told me) is possible, IMHO it is
>     better to follow the former method because it can achieve far better
>     integration with the kde environment, while implementing all the
>     necessary "hooks" (and knowledge/code base) for a similar integration
>     with the GNOME environment (ORBit(?)), which I suspect, follows a
>     similar pattern.
>
> Could someone investigate this?  It would be quite desirable to
> integrate Emacs with GNOME in this way.  If the same work could make
> this possible for GNOME and KDE, it would be pretty high priority--if
> it is feasible and acceptable at all.

With D-BUS, Emacs can support both GNOME and KDE in minimal effort.

Currently ORBit/Bonobo(?) is used in Gnome; and KPart(?) is used in KDE
as high level IPC mechanisms. In other hand D-BUS is desktop neutral
high level IPC mechanism.

Supporting ORBit/Bonobo in Emacs stands for integrating Emacs with
GNOME.  Supporting KPart in Emacs stands for integrating Emacs with
KDE. For each desktop, one high level IPC mechanism must be supported
in Emacs(and at least one voluntee is needed). In other hand, supporting
D-BUS in Emacs stands for integrating Emacs with both GNOME and KDE at
once.

Masatake YAMATO