Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: 19 Mar 2004 16:59:52 +0100

Giannis Georgalis <address@hidden> writes:

> > Since we already have GTK support, there's no reason we could not
> > have equivalent Qt support, if it someone wants to maintain it.
> >
> > However, GNOME is the main GNU desktop, and GNU packages are
> > supposed to support each other.  It would not be right for Emacs
> > to have more support for KDE than for GNOME.
>
> A clean and organized approach to "transforming" Emacs in a
> "component(TM)", should provide a similar codebase for both GNOME
> and KDE. If the design is good, the GNOME/KDE specific code should
> be "minimal".

Yes.  Personally, I don't understand RMS' "it would not be right for
Emacs to have more support for KDE than for GNOME" mostly as an
admonition that one should not proceed hastily towards a KDE solution
and later find that one made design decisions that complicate
integrating Emacs into GNOME.  But that would certainly hold to a
certain degree also the other way round.  I don't think that one
should require any KDE coder interested in that project to work slower
or worse than her GNOME counterpart.  The situation would be
embarrassing, yes, but that would not be the fault of KDE.

My project preview-latex has had a renderer utility dvipng written
specifically for it (after I fantasized how nice that would be to
have), starting over a year ago, and only now have I been able to
properly integrate it.  In the meantime, this utility has been used
for quite a few other projects, including competing ones.  The
situation was embarrassing, but keeping stuff under lock in order to
save the embarrasment would have benefited nobody.

> I could investigate it. But provided that I suffer from severe time
> constraints this season, my report will not be in depth (for now).

Does anybody know whether any of the hardcore GNOME hackers have Emacs
exposure or could be interested for taking a look?