Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:47:25 -0500

    info to include libc's index by default, you can just say `info strcpy'

Although automatically looking in libc's index would probably work for
90% of cases in practice, it does not solve the general problem.

    My model here is `man'

I agree, we need a procedure for this that works as well as man's does,
without having to load thousands of dir entries by default.

Thus my original idea (although I guess I did not fully explain it):
1have one subnode of dir for commands, one for library functions, one for
file formats, etc., analogous to the man sections.  Keep the top level
dir itself for the manuals as a whole.  The subnodes would be other menu
entries as usual:

* Menu:
* Commands::
* Functions::
* Emacs (emacs). ...

Then  info commands printf
vs. info functions printf
will get the right thing.  That is, from the cmd line.  I don't know
what the best interface would be for Emacs.

As a bonus, we could make
  info 1 printf
also work by letting `1' mean the first menu entry on the cmd line (as
it does interactively)!

The search order for "info printf" could be defined externally, a la man.

Such a Functions node will get very big (there are 6200 entries in my
/usr/share/man/man3) but I don't see another answer.

We would have to change the Texinfo language and the install-info
program to allow for installing entries in such a subnode of dir.
@dircategory/@direntry do not suffice.