Re: dired-do-touch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dired-do-touch
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:27:24 +0200

> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:31:14 +0200
> From: "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden>
>
>   (dired-do-chxxx (concat
>                    "date & TIME ("
>                    (if (eq 'w32 window-system)

It is IMHO fundamentally wrong to test window-system here, since the
same behavior would be expected from "emacs -nw" running on Windows.
I think you want to look at system-type.

>                        "MMDDhhmm[[CC][YY][.ss])"   ;; Windows NT/95 system
> (20.x)
>                        "[[CC][YY]MMDDhhmm.[ss])")) ;; UNIX

Why the difference between Windows and Unix?  Doesn't the ported
`touch' accept on Windows the same format as on Unix and GNU systems?

> (defvar dired-touch-program
>            (cond
>                ((eq system-type 'ms-dos) nil)              ; nil for dos!

Why?  A ported `touch' (as part of GNU Fileutils) is available on
MS-DOS.