Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:24:19 -0500

    > So imagine that there is a node in `dir' that has a menu which
    > contains all the manuals that describe commands.  When you ask to
    > search for a command `foo', info would find this node, find all the
    > manuals it points to, then search the index of each manual for `foo'.

    If implemented naively, that could be prohibitively slow, I think.  To
    get a feeling how slow, try "info --apropos=SOMETHING" with the
    stand-alone Info reader.

They are not comparable.  That searches all manuals.  I am talking about
searching a specified list of manuals.  The fraction of manuals that
register themselves as providing library functions for any given
language would be small.

However, this comparison might be valid in the case of commands,
because many manuals might define at least one command.  So in the
case of commands we might want to put the command names into the
special node of `dir'.

I think it would be a mistake to use a database that does not consist
of straightforward text.  The speed of searching text for a string is
so fast that there is no point in optimizing it.  The only thing that
might make this slow is if it needs to access too many files.  Putting
the necessary info in one fileis all the optimization needed.