Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:24:20 -0500

    If we rely on humans to do any significant part of the job, why not
    ask them to do it all the way?  Let's have a new Texinfo command that
    will add its argument to a global index used to do searches in all the
    manuals.  For example, the following directive

              @gindex strcpy

    will produce something that install-info could copy to the
    system-wide database I mentioned above.

This has two major disadvantages.

1. It fails to catagorize the names.  I don't want to have command
   names mixed up with C functions and Perl functions and Lisp
   functions and file formats.

2. It requires changes in texinfo itself.  I am seeking a
   solution that does not require any changes in makeinfo
   or install-info.