Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: 22 Mar 2004 08:29:32 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:25:28 -0500
>
>     > I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you envisioning the idea that
>     > the libc manual could create an entry in the info dir for each library
>     > function?  I see no reason to put them in the info directory
>
>     AFAIU, the glibc manual did just that.
>
> It does not look that way to me.  Could someone show me a portion of
> the text which does this, and tell me the filename and node name?

I think you don't see this because your glibc version is not recent
enough.  On a Debian GNU/Linux box that identifies itself as

  Linux pot.isti.cnr.it 2.4.24 #1 Mon Jan 26 15:20:26 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

I found a glibc manual whose preamble says

  This is Edition 0.10, last updated 2001-07-06, of `The GNU C Library
  Reference Manual', for Version 2.3.x of the GNU C Library.

That manual comes with a file `libc-dir-add.info.gz' which contains an
INFO-DIR-ENTRY which looks like below, and it is copied into the DIR
file.  Maybe it's a Debian thing, not something that comes with a
glibc distribution, I don't know (didn't have time to fetch a tarball
and look there).

    INFO-DIR-SECTION GNU C library functions
    START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
    * ALTWERASE: (libc)Local Modes.
    * ARGP_ERR_UNKNOWN: (libc)Argp Parser Functions.
    * ARG_MAX: (libc)General Limits.
    * BC_BASE_MAX: (libc)Utility Limits.
    * BC_DIM_MAX: (libc)Utility Limits.
    * BC_SCALE_MAX: (libc)Utility Limits.
    * BC_STRING_MAX: (libc)Utility Limits.
    * BRKINT: (libc)Input Modes.
    * BUFSIZ: (libc)Controlling Buffering.
    * CCTS_OFLOW: (libc)Control Modes.
    * CHILD_MAX: (libc)General Limits.
    * CIGNORE: (libc)Control Modes.
    * CLK_TCK: (libc)CPU Time.

    [... lots of entries deleted for brevity ...]

    * wscanf: (libc)Formatted Input Functions.
    * y0: (libc)Special Functions.
    * y0f: (libc)Special Functions.
    * y0l: (libc)Special Functions.
    * y1: (libc)Special Functions.
    * y1f: (libc)Special Functions.
    * y1l: (libc)Special Functions.
    * yn: (libc)Special Functions.
    * ynf: (libc)Special Functions.
    * ynl: (libc)Special Functions.
    * {(*__gconv_end_fct)}: (libc)glibc iconv Implementation.
    * {(*__gconv_fct)}: (libc)glibc iconv Implementation.
    * {(*__gconv_init_fct)}: (libc)glibc iconv Implementation.
    END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY