Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:55:10 +0900 (JST)

> >That could be a clever idea.  Others: do you like this feature?
> >

> IMHO it would be better with a highlighting like the one in incremental
> search, i.e. highlight the part of the possible completions that match
> what is in the minibuffer. It gives the same information to the user,
> but is more familiar.

I also implemented a version which highlights the common perfix string
in completions. And I felt that the visual feedback is too strong.
The situation is similar to incremental search a space; all the spaces
are highlighted in the buffer; too many part of a buffer is highlighted.
The user may feel where one's eyes focus on in the completions buffer.

I also implemented a version which drops shadow on the common perfix
string in completions. Dropping shadow means put a face which
foreground is dark gray on the string. I felt that it is just indistinct.

Putting bold face on a character has good balance between too much
highlighting and indistinct representation.

>From my view, Using box face property or underline face property may
be good...but I have not tried yet.

Should I provide all versions and make them choose-able?