Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: 23 Mar 2004 08:19:14 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: 22 Mar 2004 21:26:43 -0500
>
> This is called info-lookup and it already works.

A data structure similar to that used by info-lookup can be easily
added to the stand-alone reader, but I was under the impression that
this discussion tries to find a way of generating or updating its
equivalent at install-info time.  info-lookup leaves that to the
end user (given the low frequency of Emacs releases).

Also, info-lookup doesn't help when someone wants to see the
equivalent of "info --usage make" and its ilk, it only knows about
symbols in certain programming languages/packages.

> We're talking about the command-line `info' utility.
> It should really be taken off the Emacs list.

It is relevant to Emacs if we want to improve what info-lookup does.

But I agree that it's more Texinfo-oriented than Emacs-oriented.