Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:35:20 -0500

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 03:01:59PM +0100, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> > Yes -- it's much, much (much) better than CVS (and subversion).  This is
> > _not_ an advantage of subversion.
>
> Sorry, but "much better" is subjective. I know, at least a bit, what
> decentralized VC systems (like BitKeeper and Arch and Monotone) do, and
> I agree that it *is* interesting and useful; but I don't think I can
> unconditionally agree that it is "better" than the centralized model of
> CVS and Subversion and other tools.

I think the main point is that `centralized' is the easy case, and arch can
do that too.  If people want centralized, that's no problem -- but the
additional freedom of painless distributed development is a _significant_
advantage to arch.

[Perhaps this is not something that's entirely obvious if you've not used it
before, but it's wonderfully liberating.]

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin