Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:40:45 +0000 (UTC)

   > The function `update-leim-list-file' was unable to clean up the
   > corruption and did not report that it was failing.  I do not know how
   > the file got corrupted.

   Could you try this?

   % cd .../emacs/leim
   % rm leim-list.el
   % make

   If it still generates a corrupted leim-list.el, please send
   me that file.

No leim-list.el file is generated.

For this experiment, I updated CVS Emacs to today.

Day before yesterday, 21 Mar 2004, I built Emacs successfully, with
changes to leim-list.el.  This is the situation to which you are
responding.

Unfortunately when I tried to build again yesterday with yesterday's
CVS update and using what I thought were the same instructions as the
day before, the build failed.

After much unsuccessful sleuthing, I gave up and reverted to the CVS
Emacs of 15 March 2004, which built successfully.  That is the version
of Emacs I am using now.

I did all the following in an xterm running BASH because nothing
seemed to happen when I answered the question
    File leim-list.el was lost; check out from version control? (yes or no)
either in the *compilation* buffer or in an Emacs shell.  As you can
see, a message appeared when I did this in an xterm.

Here is what I did after first copying my March 15 CVS directory to an
emacs-test/ directory:

    cd /usr/local/src/emacs-test
    cvs -z6 update -dP

## CVS updated at Tue, 2004 Mar 23  14:01 UTC

    cd leim
    rm leim-list.el
    ls -al leim-list.el
      ls: leim-list.el: No such file or directory

    make
      make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

    cd ..
    make distclean
      make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop.

    ./configure --with-type1 --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
    --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
    && time make bootstrap

## which generated an error:

  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
  make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-test/lisp'
  make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

## then I did this

    cd leim
    ls -al leim-list.el
      ls: leim-list.el: No such file or directory

    make

## this generated lots of compilation results then this;

  Updating /usr/local/src/emacs-test/leim/leim-list.el ...
  File leim-list.el was lost; check out from version control? (yes or no) yes
  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
  make: *** [leim-list.el] Error 255

## and finally, I looked again

   ls -al leim-list.el
     ls: leim-list.el: No such file or directory

Hope this helps.

I am running

    Debian GNU/Linux, testing
    Linux kernel:  2.4.25