Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:23:59 +0100

Saluton, Moin,

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> skribis:

>     *Compilation motion commands skip visited locations if this is t.
>     A location is considered visited if you've already jumped there.  It
>     doesn't matter if this happened from a different message.  After you
>     start a new compilation, all locations will again be initially
>     considered unvisited.
>
> The condition is clear now.  I am not sure what "Compilation motion
> commands" are or what "skip" means.  Could you explain?

I believe I've inherited the term "Compilation motion commands" from the old
library.  They are the various next- or previous-error type of commands.

> What will happen if I move up in the compilation buffer and type RET
> to revisit an error I already saw?  Will it be "skipped"?

RET or mouse clicking is not motion in the above sense.  It tells Emacs "I
want to go to _this_ location" and that is of course always honoured.

> What if I then type C-x `?  Will it got to the following error,
> or will it move down until it finds an error I have not yet visited?

That is exactly the distinction made by the compilation-skip-visited option.
You can have one behaviour or the other.

>     The example I cited
>
>     location a: ... location b
>     location a: more bla about a
>
>     is not contrived.  I've seen this frequently at work.  The old compile
>     simply ignored location b.  Now it is found and breaks immediate
>     contiguousness.
>
> I see what you mean.  I don't have an opinion about it.
> I won't say this is a bad change.

This is only important if people want to be able to distinguish skipping
nearby mentions of the same location, but not far away ones.  I had called for
a vote on this a few days ago, and so far noone has come forward to say they
must have this distinction.

Then I'd say we stick with compilation-skip-visited's current behaviour.  We'd
just make it default to t as several people requested.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/