Re: autorevert.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: autorevert.el
Date: 24 Mar 2004 08:58:56 +0200

> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:10:08 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> When renaming a file to a name with the same length (common when one
> made a typo, when updating a version number, changing a suffix and
> so on), dired would not get notified.

So who is talking about almost-zero probability cases now? ;-)

> So even with your
> suggested version of stat, looking at the directory size would seem to
> be clearly inferior to the prior suggestion of listening to the
> messages delivered when a directory changes.

FYI, the MS-DOS port actually _has_ such a version of `stat', and it
cannot listen to the Windows messages because a DOS executable is
ostracized by M$ from having this luxury.

(In general, I'm opposed to planting into Emacs user-level features
implicit assumptions about Posix-specific behavior, in this case, that
a directory is just another file.  Yes, I know: Emacs is being
developed primarily for Posix-compliant platforms, bla, bla...)

> Anyway, the question is whether one can find anybody willing and able
> to implement either of these suggestions.

I don't see how adding a call to file-attributes is a big deal that
needs a call for volunteers, but as I said: you wrote the code, so you
get to decide what's in it.