Re: Wheter to switch to another VC, and which one...

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Wheter to switch to another VC, and which one...
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:24:18 -0500

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:52:34AM +0100, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> > > We have discussed moving quite a lot of the lisp files around, and
> > > doing that under Subversion (which keep history across moves) would be
> > > a big win compared to CVS.
> >
> > Arch too (of course).
>
> Does it keep the history on the moved/renamed file as well?
>
> Ah, yes, I suppose arch can do that with the arch tag on each file.

The thing to remember is that arch doesn't keep per-file history _at all_ --
log files are associated with changesets.

In many cases, this is actually more useful than a per-file history, but
sometimes you do want to see that.  As it turns out, there's enough
information kept in the changeset logs that you can easily (and
automatically) track a file's evolution through a series of changesets.

I have a shell script (`tla-file-log') that does this and emits cvs-style log
output.  However, in practice I find I rarely use it; more often I just want
to see the overall branch history.

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research