Re: Suggestion for autorevert.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Suggestion for autorevert.el
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:06:52 -0600 (CST)

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

   You'll note I have a question: the new variable auto-revert-tail
   seems like it ought to be buffer-local, but it's not clear to me
   how to make it so if I use `defcustom'.  I was tempted to use
   `defvar' instead, since a few other variables in autorevert.el are
   themselves defined with `defvar' ... but I'm not sure why.

Your variable auto-revert-tail, in one form or another, seems to make
sense.  (`t' would definitely be the wrong default for certain
non-file buffers, such as dired or the Buffer Menu.)  If you use
defcustom then setting the value with Custom will set the global
default value.  Since the behavior can be quite disruptive if it is
non-intentional, also for file buffers, I do not believe that using
this as a global default would be useful to many users.

I personally would use defvar and make-variable-buffer-local.  As
such, I believe that it can be useful.  But maybe there are better
solutions than that.  Variations are possible.

Maybe if point _already_ is at the end of the buffer, then it stays
there.  That would seem to be more suitable for a global default and
hence a defcustom.  That one would not seem to get too disruptive too
often.

Sincerely,

Luc.